Summer Is Here: Don’t Get Burned
ummer is here and the living is easy. There is sunshine, warm weather, outdoor fun and adventures, lots of family time and, of course, vacations. No wonder virtually everyone loves summer, including, unfortunately, burglars. They just love to take advantage of empty homes to make off with jewelry, fine arts, high-end appliances—just about anything worth their time.
Want proof burglars are interested in your vacations? Recent statistics show that 80 percent of burglars check Twitter, Facebook and Foursquare to get a handle on who is away and posting notes and pictures about their vacations.
Our advice? Save posting anything until you return. It is also wise to install a security system. Homes without these systems are almost three times more likely to be broken into than those with an alarm system. The other benefit of security systems is they can lower your insurance premiums.
Other safety measures include:
- Using timers on interior lights to make it look as though someone is home in the evening
- Parking your vehicle in its normal place
- Having someone water and grass your lawn while away
- Asking a trusted friend or family member to keep an eye on things
- Making sure all windows and doors are securely locked before leaving
- Securing and hiding all valuables
- Setting your alarm systems and letting your security company know you’ll be away
One more tip: unplug all your appliances and turn off washing machines and dishwashers. Water damage is the second most frequently filed insurance claim in the U.S. Almost all of it can be easily prevented.
Want to learn more about protecting your home? Reach out to any of us at Muller. We’re here to help and protect you—and help you enjoy worry-free vacations.